|Purchase QTY: (Each)||1+|| || || || |
|Scientrific's price|| $143.00|| || || ||
Note: Prices do NOT include GST
KIDWIND SOLAR THERMAL EXPLORATION KIT
The Solar Thermal Exploration Kit is modeled on a domestic solar water heating system. Explore variables such as box colour, light intensity, tube design, rate of water pumping and amount of time it takes to heat the water. Learn about what makes a solar water heating system more or less efficient!
Solar water heaters are becoming a popular alternative to conventional water heaters because they save the homeowner money and they reduce carbon emissions.
Expected temperature change: 0-12°C
Housing size approx. 215x380x25mm.
• Design a solar thermal collector to harness the energy of the Sun for water heating.
• Compare the rates for temperature increase based on variables in collector design.
• Compare temperature change at various times of the day and/or year
• Understanding clean energy; discovering and discussing solar power as an energy source
• Exploring energy transformations; designing, building and evaluating devices that convert one form of energy into another
• Understanding circuits, electricity and magnetism
• Developing and using physical models
• Designing controlled experiments
• Optimizing designs
• Analysing data
• Understanding differences between energy and power
• Understanding weather and climate
• 7.5m clear plastic tubing for water (excluded from warranty)
• Black plastic box
• Clear plastic lid for plastic box
• 2 containers
• 2V/400mA solar panel
• KidWind small water pump with tubing
• 2 Thermometers
• 2 leads with clips, 1 black and 1 red
Q Can I generate electricity from this kit?
A Yes, the solar panel will create electricity and will power the water pump which circulates the water.
Q Can I use this kit to integrate solar heating into my current home?
A No, using a science kit for home application can cause unexpected problems in a variety of areas. If you are interested in bringing solar heating to your home contact a local professional.
Download the current Vernier K-12 Catalogue
Download the current Vernier University Catalogue
Educational use only:
Vernier and Kidwind products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical or commercial applications. Details