Key Experiment Crumple Zone Collisions
KEPS24: This experiment analyses the motion of a cart down a ramp and the forces of impact under different conditions.
Physics: Linear motion and force
Physics: Force and momentum in collisions
Physics: Gravity and motion
During collisions the force of impact and the time for the interaction is related to the change in momentum. The momentum is controlled by the mass of the cart and the velocity at the bottom of the ramp before collision. The force of impact can be changed by changing the time taken for the interaction to occur.
In this experiment, you will:
1. Measure the velocity and hence find momentum of a cart at the bottom of a ramp
2. Measure the force and the time taken for the collision interaction to occur.
3. Relate the force and time taken for the interaction to the change in momentum of the cart.
Ideas for Extended Investigations
1. Investigate acceleration down a ramp under different conditions such as: ramp angle, mass of cart, friction on surface or starting height.
2. Investigate the force of impact of a cart with a fixed end under different conditions such as: ramp angle, mass of cart, and friction on surface or starting height.
3. Investigate the force of impact of cart colliding with different crumple zone materials
4. Design and test a crumple zone to limit the impact force of a collision to below a “threshold” level
Tech tips using the Dual Range Force sensor View >>>>
Tech tips using the Motion Detector View >>>>
ACSSU190 - Physical Sciences - Energy Conservation - Energy conservation in a system can be explained by describing energy transfers and transformations
ACSSU229 - Physical Sciences - Forces and Motion - The motion of objects can be described and predicted using the laws of physics
ACSSU117 - Physical Sciences - Forces and Machines - Change to an object’s motion is caused by unbalanced forces, including Earth’s gravitational attraction, acting on the object
Click a curriculum code to see other products that relate.
Essential items - The following items are required:
|LABQ2 - Vernier LabQuest 2 Data Logger and Interface||$835.00|
|MF0945-001 - IEC Collision Trolley Dynamics Cart - Pair||$137.00|
|MD-BTD - Vernier Motion Detector||$216.00|
|DFS-BTA - Vernier Dual-Range Force Sensor||$265.00|
|Optional items - The following items are optional:||From|
|LQ-MINI - Vernier LabQuest Mini Data Logger Interface||$410.00|
|LP - Vernier Logger Pro 3 Data Logging Software||$605.00|
|MF4300-001 - IEC Weight Set of 9 Brass Slotted 50g||$57.70|
|DTS - Vernier Dynamics Cart and Track System||$716.00|
|DTS-EC - Vernier Dynamics Cart and Track System with Motion Encoder||$1,080.00|
|GDX-FOR - Vernier Go Direct Force and Acceleration Sensor||$251.00|
|LQ-STREAM - Vernier LabQuest Stream Wireless Data Logger||$568.00|
|GDX-MD - Vernier Go Direct Motion Detector||$251.00|
|GDX-CART-G - Vernier Go Direct Sensor Cart Green||$428.00|
|GDX-CART-Y - Vernier Go Direct Sensor Cart Yellow||$428.00|
The following items are required but are not available from Scientrific:
|1m inclined plane, Crumple materials|
|Experiment||Crumple Zone Collisions|
Note: Prices do NOT include GST or freight